I teach biology and chemistry at a high school on the Olympic Peninsula. After school, I like to run. My main trail? Straight from my classroom to a place called Big Rock several times a week. The running is a buffer between my time in school and my time at home with my kids. I also use this time, and this place in the woods, to think, and I write some of those thoughts here on this blog. I'm a lifelong Washingtonian and I am committed to improving education in this state. Follow me on Twitter: @maren_johnson.
My Stories from School posts:
- Ambitious Teaching = Rigor + Equity. What does this mean for the Next Gen Science Standards?
- Student (and teacher) Engagement: Increase the Drama!
- Inappropriate Jokes and Student Teacher Evaluation
- Just a Tweak? Educator Effectiveness and the Evergreen Effect
- Let's Hijack that Spaceship: The Next Generation Science Standards
- Fund Education First? It just won't work
- National Board Cohort goes on a Road Trip
- Double your fun with Dual Credit! Your Brain on Drugs
- Kids Want to Learn about Ducks! The Next Generation Science Standards
- Writing about Teaching
- A New Proposal: Graduation Requirements and the Biology EOC
- Should I sharpen up my Teaching Points?
- Thinking about those NBCTs
- What's that standard? Excellence in Washington State and Finland
- Hey, Ms. Johnson, Do You Need a Letter too?
- Unfortunately, It's not Invisible: The Equipment
- Study your Craft
- Hope and Fear: New National Board Candidates
- Teacher Talk: West Africa and New England
- Accountability at What Cost? The Biology End-of-Course Exam